View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

gg,

You need to try to separate your different symptoms and address them individually. You will not find anybody who can address any cluster of PCS symptoms.

If you have vision issues that are not resolved, they can contribute to balance since a good part of balance is visual. A way to demonstrate this is to walk across a room in the dark with just a small visual reference across the room. When your vision does not see the floor moving or try to use the floor as a reference, the balance system can function better.

When you struggle to sleep, what goes on ? What is your mind doing ? What sensations are you perceiving (tactile, heat, sound, etc)? What do you do in the few hours before trying to sleep ? When do you eat your last meal and/or snack before bed ? What time do you get up in the morning?

The struggling brain often loses the ability to ignore sensory and other information. This interrupts the ability to relax to fall asleep.

This same problem can interfere with cognitive processing because there are distracting or irrelevant information getting into the processing stream.

I can see from your posts that you tend to be a finite thinker. Something is or something isn't with not much vagueness between. That makes PCS miserable. I don't understand what you mean when you say "However, I think your theory about lack of cognitive overload resulting from impaired processing abilities hits at the true heart of the matter. " ?

Regarding regaining cognitive functions, Many have to learn new ways to receive and process information. It might mean getting out of noisy environments or writing things down or other ways to break down an issue. Learning to actively focus rather than passively listen can also be an issue. For some of us, this means we have to 'Stop to think.'

Many of us lose ground with 'digit span.' Digit span is the number of items or concepts that the brain can hold and manipulate in a process. Digit span follows age from 2 to 8 years old. A 2 yo can process 2 concepts, like yes and no. An 8 year old can usually stay aware of up to 8 concepts. Digit span can increase beyond 8 for some. It is a function of memory and some other issues. If the memory can hold the 8 items, they can be used in the processing.

Wechsler has a digit span test. Gronwahl authored the PASAT. There are adulterated versions of both. A properly administered PASAT can be informative.

A full Neuro Psych Assessment will have these or similar tests in the battery.

Don't get your hopes up about a qEEG. They are widely available but few know how to fully understand them. My neuro did over 6000 and developed new research about what the various waveforms mean. He could use a qEEG and predict symptoms based on the waveforms. For example, he saw mine and said "You hear everything ! How do you handle that?" To which my wife answered, "That's why we are here." My brain does not filter out the myriad of background and conflicting sounds so my brain gets easily overloaded. He also predicted my IQ and other characteristics. Unfortunately, he never published his work except for one article. He went blind in 2007 and closed his practice and shredded all of his files. He just passed way this past year at 89. It is unfortunate he never passed his knowledge on to others.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote