View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 10:06 PM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Terri

So sorry to hear - thats really lousy...

However, start planning.... when you say they gave you 6 months of medical benefits - does that mean they are going to pay your COBRA premium for that time (COBRA is the cost the company was paying for your insurance each month plus 2%...) - if they are going to pay it for a while thats great... you dont want to let it expire though after that time - its critical to have that because its much cheaper then having to buy your own high risk insurance - which you would have to cause of your medical conditions... you can continue it up to 18 months if you pay for it... (and up to 28 months I believe if you are approved for Social Security Disability before the 18 months is up)...

Regarding disability - Calif has short term disablity which will go up to a year - if your doctor backs you up on the disbality apply for it quickly - I believe it pays now the same rate as workers comp would based on your prior income... they usually move very quicky too...

If your doc says you cant work at all any more - then you need to get ball rolling on Social Security Disabilty - its a long and difficult process and you need complete doc support - but if it looks like your health is going to prohibit you working at all - you need to get it moving... this will allow you to get buy Medicare and give you a small income.

Theres lots of stuff to consider - so will just send a cyber hug right now but please feel free to PM me - this is my background here in Calif and am now completely disabled - so have seen all sides of the coin... take it easy for a few days though!
BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote