View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 02:39 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Smile Burning Mouth Relief

I have had Burning Mouth Syndrome for about 2 years. I have been on Gabapentin and Alpha Lipoic Acid with some relief but breakthrough pain every day. I am a nurse practitioner so it has been hard to do my job with my mouth burning by 2 pm. I was at a conference on Neuropsychiatry recently and saw a poster about Using the medicine Pramipexol in Burning Mouth. It is a medicine used in Restless Leg Syndrome. There is some thought that Burning Mouth is caused by the same thing as Restless Leg. They were using this medicine which increases Dopamine in a certain area in the brain. I spoke with my neurologist about it and he was fine with giving it a try. I have now been on it for almost a month. I cannot believe the RELIEF I am getting!!! I am slowly cutting back on the Gabapentin. I am not having any breakthrough pain. If you check on this in PubMed, which is an online library for the National Institute of Health, you will find some other anecdotal reports about Pramipexol being successfully used in Burning Mouth Syndrome. I hope this helps some other folks out there who are suffering with this very difficult condition.
silversun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
madisongrrl (02-27-2017), mrsD (12-12-2016), Protector (12-14-2016), Sophie0513 (12-13-2016)