View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 12:24 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

I'm sorry it has taken me a few days to respond. I really appreciate your detailed message.

When I struggle to sleep I find that my mind is constantly "going." This is similar to what is going on during the day with my mind being hyperactive. My response to being foggy and mentally struggling is to work harder than ever to try to compensate (to no effect, clearly). I find that I am very aware of every noise in the house. While I sleep I find myself slipping in and out of the pre-sleep hypnagogic state where one's thoughts are almost hallucinatory. Prior to sleep (maybe 20 mins before) I try to have a high protein snack, do some meditation, and listen as well as possible to an audiobook. I usually spend 2 hours trying to fall asleep and wake up about 8:30.

I think you are correct about my brain being unable to filter out noises/sensory information in order to sleep. My psychiatrist said something similar and has prescribed Abilify at 2mg to help me "filter out" more effectively. I am somewhat skeptical but he says it should not have any neuro-toxic effects even if it is ineffective. Would you agree?

Regarding cognitive functioning, I made a typo. What I meant to say was that "I think your theory about derealization/fog resulting from the cognitive overload produced by impaired processing abilities hits at the true heart of the matter. " Having slowed processing speed distorts everything, I would think.

I'm not sure what you mean by being a finite thinker, but in any case, I clearly am not coping too well with these PCS symptoms. It is hard to imagine that what seem to be deep-rooted cognitive deficits can improve after what most consider the organic healing period has elapsed. I know that others deal valiantly with it for decades...but it sounds like recovery means accommodation, acceptance, and ingenuity to find work arounds?

Any ways, thank you as always for your response.
goodgrief20 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote