Thread: C5 Palsy
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 08:38 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Not sure if I'm posting my comment correctly on here...Im on my 6th month of c'5 palsy, neither my doc, surgeon, Pt ladies had ever dealt, seen or heard of c-5 palsy, a friend of my daughters had it happen to him, he said it took 21mo to recover and not 100%, I have to get the ball rolling for disability because it takes such a long time...I regret having this surgery, its been a life changing one...In my line of work, there is no light duty positions, Ive had the horrible buzzing in my left arm, is worse while im sleeping, it wakes me up, I asked the surgeon and he had no answer...thanks for the updates, your right, there isnt much info out there...the surgeon never told me this was a possibility....it has been very frustrating, the depression was the worst, I am not one to ask for help and here I couldn't get a shirt on or off, button my pants or even comb my hair, you get creative with your left arm, Im rt handed also...my left arm has been hurting very bad, not sure why this has started happen now...thinking maybe
Over doing it since I can't use my right arm....thanks for the updates...very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastek View Post
End of week 18. A little improvement in shoulder (deltoid) strength. I can now reach the center of the steering wheel on my car. About 2 inches higher than I could reach 3 weeks ago. No improvement in bicep strength, but I can feel some movement of the muscle when I try to flex it (its alive at least). The nerve pain in my arms is still pretty bad, mostly later in the day. I'm being told that this pain will likely persist until the nerves have regenerated. Gabapentin relieves it most of the time, but there are days that I have to take oxycodone to get any relief.

I have also been dealing with this new problem that causes buzzing in my arms, legs and shoulders when I tilt my head forward. The surgeon says its called L`Hermittes sign. It is usually seen in MS patients when the disease attacks the myelin that surrounds the spinal cord. This causes mixed signals to the brain. In my case, the surgeon says that it is caused by my spinal cord touching (rubbing against) one of the remaining rear spinal bones (a result of the posterior decompression surgery). Apparently, this is something that I either have to live with, or have another surgery to remove more spinal bone. I think I'll live with it. There is also a chance that it will go away on its own after my nervous system settles down.
Ohio49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote