View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 07:23 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondaughter View Post
I am hypersensitive to the sense of conviction in myself and others (or lack of it).
I learned in practicing homeopathy that "knowing" I had the "right" remedy was the single most important element in helping my client and I've been witness to miracles and breakthroughs... but, the interesting thing about having a sense of conviction is it can (also) collapse one into two dimensional thinking (either you are with me or against me mode) which ultimately holds the inclusive nature of truth hostage-

Do placebo controlled trials take into account the impact of the doctor as well as the patients?
Hi Moondaughter,

I don't believe in homeopathy. However, I do acknowledge that there is so much that I don't understand, that I am basically ignorant, but try to keep a somewhat open mind.

In a clinical trial, the underlying concept is double blind. Neither the patient or treating physicians have knowledge whether the treatment is real or placebo. Typically, in this type of scenario, both doctor and patient want to believe. Of course, treating physicians develop suspicions based upon preliminary results that may go on and affect future results.

The bottom line in clinical trials is that people responding to placebos is inconvenient and expensive, because the company paying for the trial is trying to get their drug approved so that they can charge exorbitant sums for it...er, I mean so that suffering patients can experience relief.

Your question is about confidence of the person delivering the treatment, is that significant? Individually, yes...the more confidence the practitioner has, the more the patient believes it will work. I don't think that aspect has received a clinical study of its own, but the author of this book voices that opinion, and I share it.

To be very frank, as I started reading this book, my first thought was never to discuss it.

Why?

You use homeopathy. I don't believe in it. But if you treat somebody and it works because they believe, and the placebo effect is real, what difference does it make what I believe as an external 3rd party? If I discourage you, then I am harming people that you could potentially help.

If 25% of people are genetically predisposed (and that is a big if) to have a positive reaction to a treatment they believe will help them, then as long as no one is exploited or taken advantage of in the process (and no endangered species sacrificed)...that's a positive outcome.

Here's where it gets weirder...

People who are more acceptable to the placebo effect are likely to have experienced positive results from alternative treatments in the past, therefore they are more likely to seek your assistance with alternative treatment. Thus increasing your success rate.

I'll be the first to admit, this could all be a crock of excrement. But at some level it resonates with me. I have so many potential placebos in my personal PD regimen of supplements and nutrition that I have no right to question your homeopathic treatments.

In fact, even though I don't believe in homeopathy, I would encourage you not to be deterred by skeptics. If this theory is true, 25% of people are hard wired skeptics and will not respond.

Understand that I'm simplifying a bit, as the genetic switch I'm referring to applies to only certain conditions such as PD. Other conditions may have different genetic placebo switches, if any. The author notes that chronic pain and IBS are in a similar category to PD, while Alzheimer's appears resistant to placebos.

Or, all of this may be a crock of excrement. The funny thing is that while my initial reaction to this line of thought was to question my placebos, ultimately it is leading me to embrace them more fully, as there is so much that I know that I do not understand.

I would also emphasize that when I talk about the PD placebo effect...the effect is generally not a 100% cure...although I wouldn't rule out that possibility. Usually it would refer to reduced symptoms and/or slower progression.

- Brett
Parkinson Fit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
moondaughter (12-15-2016)