View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 01:51 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousc View Post
Just new, so didn't mean to quote the whole thing I was replying to...

I am 66 years old. Diabetic since age 35. Healthy until age 50. Many, varied, progressive problems since 50. Seems they 'must' be related but no one, including me, has identified how. Except that they are mostly auto-immune diseases. I have never been identified as having a psycho related illness, though I have seen psychiatrists, psychotherapists, in addition to MANY doctors of all persuasions.

Medication

So, medication is my current big issue (not identified in the list in the profile).

I used to take Tramadol for RLS and pain. It worked for 10 years, then stopped working 4 years ago. About one and half years ago I was prescribed gabapentin. In one year I gained 30 pounds. The following 6 months, I gained another 20 pounds. !!! I have never been overweight. Never even thought about my weight. And the gabapentin didn't even work for pain that well. My doctor doesn't seem to have a clue as to what else I can take. Any suggestions?

Also, I have fibromyalgia. Also perscribed gabapentin for that. It's not working. What else?

Your site, as well as others, states that gabapentin is the same as neurotin. My doctor says it is not. What? Is my doctor that bad?

side question: how come this site doesn't have drug names in SpellCheck?

Another drug problem: I take Celexa and Cymbalta to try to help with insomnia. After almost two years with a sleep therapist, a CPAP machine, etc., that is better but not great.

Are these meds fighting each other?
What are new, current, drugs to help me?
Did you get off Gabapentin successfully? I thought I would find more people in this forum. I am 68, failed on Neurontin at age 59. All of my muscles hurt because Gabapentin gave me an uncontrollable movement disorder, which began in 2008. My doctor sent me to a psychiatrist. I told him that I was thinking about finding an escape hatch from this terrible condition. He gave me Lamotrigine, (another anticonvulsant) which came in a 25 mg pill, but he didn't want me to take that much. He wanted me to cut it into tiny pieces and take the smallest bit, once a day. I had to take this for a week before taking 2 small bits. I didn't know what he was watching for until I started laughing instead of crying. That psychiatrist was wise not to start a patient on what was the recommended starting dose. The point is that Gabapentin is also an anticonvulsant and they make patients start at a ridiculous high dose, not even taking into consideration your weight, or test for sensitivity. My introduction period was only 2 consecutive doses, 300 mg, and I immediately had an onset of a terrible movement disorder within an hour of the 2nd dose, and immediately called the pharmacist and the doctor. The nurse said, "Side effects always wear off." Not in my case. - I found a report from Gabapentin clinical trials that admitted that Gabapentin can cause twitching and choreoathetosis, during the introduction period. (My right hand developed Choreoathetosis within 6 weeks of the movement disorder.) Then they claimed that it would wear off within 10 weeks, after dosage reduction, and said this happened to epileptic patients who had prior brain surgery. I didn't have either problem. - I hope you have found something for your RLS. I stuff a pillow along my right leg which seems to control leg movements at night. I also found that 2.5 mg of Zolpidem, and 0.5 Alprazolam, and 3 mg of Tizanadine, helps me sleep, but nothing helps during the day.
Ruth Jerks a Lot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote