View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 11:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Rytary Update-Good News!

Please consider the following information as my personal experience and in no way a recommendation or suggestion for others to go down this road. I am not a doctor; I am just a guy with PD.

Well my story continues to improve. I wake on purpose at 5:30 a.m. and immediately take 1 Amantadine 100 mg and 1 81mg aspirin and 1 benztropine 1 mg along with 2 Ubiquinol 300 mg supplement. I then have a bowl of raisin bran or similar cereal with milk and banana and berries with one or two cups of coffee. This blunts the strong "on" I was getting before and smooths the medicine. Although this is a bit of limiting my abilities it makes the jerky muscle movements far more manageable or nonexistent and allows me to drive and function with greater ease. It appears that the best experience comes if I eat just prior to the 1st dose of Rytary at 6pm. Eating even 10 minutes after taking the 6am Rytary may result in a bit more of a difficult time with muscle jerkiness but still far better than a few months ago.

I take the 2 capsules of Rytary 23.75/95 mg 5 times a day starting at 6 a.m. every three hours. This is very convenient and is even more so using my timer on my cell phone (I can't believe I missed this for this long!).

Around 2:30 I take another 1 Amantadine 100 mg and 1 benztropine 1 mg. At 6 p.m. is my last Rytary and only have my 2 Ubiquinol 300 mg supplement which I take at bedtime.

The results? Much smoother and consistent days. Gone are the symptoms which concerned me just a few months ago. Gone are the problems sleeping. Gone is the restless leg syndrome. I have my life back, at least for now.

I continue to remain consistently "on" and do not really experience hard "offs" when I stick to this routine. Driving is now a task I don't think about as in "will I be able to drive in a few hours or should I not take the trip". Seldom is driving restrictive as before when it seemed to be getting impossible to turn the steering wheel to park or raise up in my bed at night to turn over or pull up my pants when getting dressed. Gone for several months! Life has definitely improved!

Just as an example yesterday I got up at 6 am and drove 30 minutes to deliver my son and his motorcycle to the track. Drove back home and at 10:30 am drove an hour and a half to LAX to pick up my wife returning from a 2 week trip to Guatemala (during these two weeks I did mommy and daddy duties with the 5 yr old and delivered them to and from school). At LAX waited standing in the lobby for an hour, collected baggage and wife and drove an hour to a restaurant, ate and drove another 45 minutes home. Lastly drove 50 minutes to my sisters house for dinner and collected my son and his motorcycle, then 3 hours later drove motorcycle trailer and moto 50 minutes home. A rather full day I didn't give any time to consider-I just did it.

Another word about eating. I love to eat but find it more difficult to function if I eat too much (that full feeling or as my family says, STUFFED! It doesn't feel good so I try to eat a good cereal/fruit breakfast and food maybe 3 more times before my Rytary.

Now for the downside. One of these meds is causing me concern on memory loss. Not just the typical old age forgetfulness but not being able to remember which freeway direction to take. Or turning a wrong direction going to school. I am checking this with my doctor and will continue to report.

That's it. Hope it helps.

Jim
I_Got_it_2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eds195 (12-19-2016)