View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Confused HELP: Suicidal Thoughts After Struck By Car?

Hello! I am new to this site. A little over a month ago, I was struck by a pickup truck while walking on a crosswalk. I was knocked unconscious but woke up relatively quickly, just in time to be loaded in onto the ambulance. I went 50 feet and hit my head on the concrete. In the end, I broke my elbow and got a few minor skin abrasions, (some pretty wicked looking scars, too ) and I was unable to walk due to road rash on my feet for a few days, but there was no significant internal injury. I have since returned to school and walking and my average everyday routine.

So one of the first things the doctors did at the hospital was run tests on my brain for a concussion. They determined I had only a mild concussion. I was thinking straight and talking just fine. I felt okay, in terms of my mind. But in the following weeks after my accident, I have felt myself slip into an unexpected depression. I've been on depression medications for years and they've been working fine prior to this accident. Suddenly, I am having suicidal thoughts and my mind is just acting in ways it never has before. I can't talk to my friends, (even though they've done nothing but support me throughout my healing journey), and I've been having intense anxiety. I randomly cry for little to no reason. It's nothing like I've ever experienced before, honestly. I have never felt so worthless and so willing to end my own life.

I told my father about these feelings and asked him whether or not he thinks it could be related to my concussion, even though it was defined as minor. He suicidal thoughts really only happen to football players who have sustained a great number of blows to their heads over years and years. Only one concussion cannot have had such a great effect, he said. But I just can't see any other explanation for what is happening with my brain.

Could these suicidal thoughts and general depression be possibly linked to a brain injury?
willowtree8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Skeezyks (12-23-2016)