View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 02:33 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Many people cannot tolerate high dose B6... We have had a good number of them appear on our PN forum who had nerve damage/symptoms from less than 50mg a day.

Another issue is that pyridoxine (B6) is not active in the body and is activated in the liver by pyridoxal kinase. This may fail or vary from person to person and some drugs are known to interfere with this conversion also.

The first link you put up requires 6 capsules to deliver what is on the ingredient list. You can alter this then by using less capsules per day. It will lower the other nutrients but that is not a huge factor as they are high anyway.
The first link has methylcobalamin in it as so it must be taken on an empty stomach. If you don't absorption may be nil or quite low.

You could also just take them all... the damage tends to
occur after weeks/months of chronic use. I myself do not use high dose anything...including B6.

Some of our posters who had negative results with high doses were given the B6 by neurologists.

Here are just a few posts;
Pyridoxine toxicity

Please stay away from vitamin b6

If you Google high dose B6, you can find many other medical sites that discuss this. I myself don't think it is really a huge problem, but I do think that some people just don't do well on extra B6 for whatever reason.

Extremely high dose Vitamins as Mark posted can lead to a condition called vitamin dependency. This is a condition that happens with high C intake (think Linus Pauling where it first manifested). This condition causes to body to adjust and need the excessively high dose over time. So if the vitamin is suddenly withdrawn, the person goes into a severe deficiency syndrome. Most of the papers on this concentrated on vitamin C, where scurvy symptoms resulted from sudden reduction in intake.

Also people who can tolerate very high B6, may have a condition called pyroluria. This is genetic, and involves the liver, where HEME is made. Pyrolurics have a defect in this process and produce a byproduct call kryptopyrroles which are harmless but do complex out B6 and zinc from the blood and excrete them so the person becomes deficient. Treatment of this consists of testing, followed by high dose treatment with P5P and zinc. Pyroluria is suspected to cause some forms of anxiety disorders and or other mental illnesses.

So back to you, RRC. Signs to look for with B6 in high doses, would be numbness and tingling in hands and feet, and altered gait. Those would be a warning to cut back on your B6.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 12-23-2016 at 02:49 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote