View Single Post
Old 12-24-2016, 10:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

MrsD is quite right, Depakote does have harmful effects and should be avoided by women considering pregnancy. It is also not a drug of first choice for the pain of neuropathy.

There are many anti-seizure drugs, of course, Topomax and Lamictal among them. Gabapentin and Lyrica are first choices for neuropathic pain. I stopped taking Gabapentin because I had developed Myoclonic seizures and both Gabapentin and Lyrica have a 4% chance of causing this type of seizure.

Most of us find ourselves dealing with strong medications, and medications with very serious side effects. One unusual and sometimes fatal side effect of anti seizure medications is Stevens-Johnson syndrome, which causes the skin to slough off

In addition we are often NOT 'the average person' by definition of our somewhat unusual conditions, and may experience even greater reaction to medications.

My neurologist knows my medical history and my diagnoses very well, and I trust him. I waited a month while completely off the Gabapentin, and the seizures persisted, so Gabapentin probably does NOT cause them. I probably have Primary Progressive Myoclonus of Aging.

The prescription of Depakote for me is an attempt to stop my myoclonic seizures. The dangerous ones are when I suddenly fall to the ground without warning. This is a negative seizure (I have both positive and negative).

The hope is to get the seizures stopped and then deal with my neuropathic pain as needed. This may include adding some amount of Gabapentin.

Neuropathic pain is a very difficult part of my life, but collapsing spontaneously without warning is life threatening. I do have a medical alert which I wear at all times.

I am so hoping that the coming year brings all of joy and hope. Yes, we have difficult medical conditions, and life goes on! May we all be able to put our medical issues into the background and enjoy our lives in 2017.

Hugs, ElaineD
ElaineD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Cliffman (12-25-2016), hopeful (12-28-2016), Sophie0513 (12-24-2016)