Thread: Feet Again
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 07:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlek View Post
in their feet SHOULD treat their feet as if they have a severe Diabetic Neuropathy.
Why? Because you do not feel any of the normal boo's bumps or real bangs to your feet the way they should be 'registered' and then treated. Broken Foot? Didn't know until it was infected and swollen three times normal?
Cut that turns infected? Then it's off to the rehab 'treatment' clinics or goodness knows what for goodness KNOWS what...
I don't always put things the way I want. The above quote is how my neuro feels about pn feet and why I'm checking them, babying them, etc. My question is mostly about the spot on my toe...is this a precursor to an ulcer if anyone knows what that looks like? Also wondered if anyone else had noticed the color of their soles being a weird color.

Wings, I didn't realize I should have put in more background info. As far as being not diabetic or pre-diabetic, bloodwork (most recently tested last week my request) has all come back in good shape. Numbers are hard for me so if you want a hard number on what the test results were I'll have to post back...I had a gm seizure several years ago and my language skills were impaired (but Thank God for crosswords which helped me at least get some of it back) and what little ability to retain numbers I had at that time went away. Numbers are almost a foreign language for me now It makes things very interesting at work although I have learned to write them down and carry them with me. I've also had the deal where they use bp cuffs on all limbs and was told my circulation is good/normal. I've had numerous mri's, ct scans, x-rays, emg, ncv, etc.

In general I have high bp which is regulated by meds. Cholesterol is being controlled by diet and exercise, although I still need to lower that some more. I no longer fit into my "skinny jeans" but hopefully I'm not ready for the fire dept. to have to dismantle the house to get me outside. This spring had an ovarian cyst and ovary removed and have had an issue with allergic reactions to ibuprofen and tylenol. Had back injections last fall in an effort to stop the pain. Most recently have had pneumonia. Other than that I have always been very healthy. Had never had surgery (except for c-section birth) until ovary and mass was removed this year. For some reason the drs are always surprised at that...makes me think that surgery for various reasons are pretty common? Have had some skin cancers removed but am not surprised they would pop up since I'm fair complected and have spent 40 some odd years in the sun.

Before my feet started hurting I took no meds. Now I take close to Anna Nicole porportions of pills daily which makes me very sad. Neuro says my pn is most likely genetic. Insurance won't pay for the genetic testing and I'm still on the fence on whether or not to go forward and pay for the test myself. I have always had hammer toes but now my foot is drawing up worse...just one more thing I want pod. to give me input on. Grandmother and an aunt had hammertoes too. They both had surgery for that, but until now mine have always been managable with deep toed shoes. At least I know the lack of feeling is on the sole and not tops of toes or those darn corn/callous things I'm getting now wouldn't hurt so much. I believe the metanx I take and anodyne therapy helped reduced for the most part the burning I had been experiencing and have had many good days since starting that early this summer. I also wear orthotics which help with arch discomfort.

PN has given me pause about several things in my life. Not only do I need the pain to go away just 'cause, but also because I'm a retail manager and expected to spend at least 10 hour days walking on concrete and also because my passion in life has always been horses. Horses and pn feet don't necessarily go well together. I'm finding my reflexes on getting out of the way are not as sharp as I would like. PN is making me reevaluate a lot of things.

The comment about using a marching step to walk was interesting since I have noticed that is something I naturally do in order to get around safely.

Thanks for your input folks. I do check back, but it is usually only oncea day or so since work and the ponies (in addition to family) limit my computer time. Have a great day!
possumtrot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote