View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 08:00 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

PD Is a life altering disease...........and regardless of a persons stage of disability, each day has,can and will bring forth new challenges as their life is altered.

Like many of you. Over the passed almost 4 yrs , I have found a greater understanding of what a human beings "blueprint" was probably supposed to be like.

I have gone from an very active 39 yr old, to being reliant on others and an assortment of equipment, using a motorized chair, operating my truck with a hand control, for 8 months being ventilated and being fed only soft food.......even water choked me.(luckily since my new found friend Sinemet, I have seen improvements in many of my symptoms)

But the real gain from this is the inspiration we as the "stereo-typical" handicapped in society can have is.......on others around us!

The expression from a parent as one leans from their wheechair( with difficulty) to pick up their childs dropped toy.
When asked at the store by the clerk "how are you?" and your reply is "great, I am having an awesome day"............whilst the last customer in front of you had been complaining about a cold, its to hot or the price of fish or something?
The jaw dropped look from the neighbors when they have never seen you walk before..........as you move like you have had 20 whiskys across the front lawn..........get in your wheelchair and start cutting the grass from a seated position.(although I confess it didn't last very long, before fatigue set in and stiffness)And then tears rolldown their cheeks.

Our disability is always our ABILITY.

The ability to alter others.........hopefully for the better............maybe for just that one moment.?..........but it alters them!

It alters us too!
Our expectations on life change, things that once seemed a problem, challenging or important,now fade into insignificance. New perceptions on the way we want to live our lives come to the forefront. Never before encountered challenges become apparent and very much a challenge.

Whatever you take away from my post, please be assured PD I guarantee has made you a better person, even ,the,shall we call grumpy types among us have new abilitys , which often far out way our own personal disability!

I have enjoyed reading the posts on this topic !
It is an ability in itself to express our feelings publicly and to pass on our strength to others in whatever form...........be it this time.... words!

I try to do something positive everyday that I would have not done before I got sick............to be honest In reflection I did not care for others back then, and in someways am glad for my new found traits.

I wish you all luck in your own personal fight!
boomer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote