View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I have the same struggles. Had them for 16 years. They improved a little bit over time but I also learned to not take on multi-tasking and other functions that require those weak functions to work.

Memory can be made better by learning to focus. The term to remember is we need to "Stop to Think." Try to remember that. Being more purposeful helps. The only way of casually or subconsciously taking on a task does not work like it used to. Instead, at the instigation of a thought, we need to focus on the task until we complete the task. We cannot interrupt the task.

Multi-tasking is not a realistic goal. It challenges the brain.

The concept to understand is called 'digit span.' This is the number of items the brain can juggle at the same time. It is a part of working memory function. We often have a reduced digit span. Mine was severely affected.

Some work with lists in place of using memory to track a number of tasks. Smart phones can be used for these lists and schedule reminders. We have a white board on the refrigerator. I send reminder emails to myself.

The other concept to understand is how the brain filters. A healthy brain is much better at filtering out the many distractions and meaningless stimulations so we can stay focused on the task at hand. The PCS brain often struggles to ignore these distractions. They van be visual, auditory, smell, tactile. I need a quiet atmosphere with minimal visual distractions to be productive.

Research shows that those who do best start by accepting and understanding these struggles and learning work-arounds to continue despite them.

Process thinking can be difficult as the brain has lost its shortcuts. We have to be more methodical in our thinking where previously, some processes just happened. Previously, the brain would start with processing A, B, C, D. Then, it learned to short cut past B and go A, C, D. Then, it may even short cut past C and just go from A to D. A lot of daily activities develop short cuts. We complete household tasks without ever thinking about the intermediate steps. But, now, we have to stop and think about each step. In times, the brain can relearn some of the shortcuts.

So, I've learned to not count on subconsciously processing tasks.

It may help for you to talk to yourself when you need to remember. If you hear yourself say out loud to yourself, "Call Sarah after lunch" rather than just thinking it, the brain stores it in auditory memory, too. Writing it down crates a visual and tactile memory stream. When you use multiple sensory streams, your memory will work better.

And, try to not stress when you struggle. It only makes it worse. When I can't recall a word, I think, 'I get my mords wixed up.' It sort of resets my brain to try again.

So, try calming your environment and see how that helps

And, when you have a bad day, it is likely that you did not sleep well. Good sleep is needed for the brain to be ready for a new day. Otherwise, it has the previous day sitting chaotically in memory, sort of like having a pile of yesterdays papers on your desk. Good sleep allows the brain to file the previous day's memories so it is ready for new day of memories.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AeroDan (07-20-2018)