View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 10:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was all but hopeless and helpless until I found this forum. The people here are smart, helpful and very well informed. That's more than I can say for some of the doctors I've seen.

I gave up dairy at one point, and my reward seemed to be much worse cramping. I can't say definitively that not drinking my nightly glass of milk was to blame, but as soon as I started back, the cramping frequency returned to occasional versus every night. That being said, I'm now drinking unsweetened, organic soy milk. I know some people don't like that idea either, but I'm comfortable with it. I also don't avoid any other dairy products.

My coffee consumption has actually gone up pretty significantly since I went back to work, and my symptoms definitely have not worsened.

The one thing I know is not good for the SFN symptoms is salt, and it's probably the biggest dietary problem I have at this point. When I really overdo it, there's hell to pay. I cramped up so badly one time when I was out shopping, I could barely drive. I had just enough water to get my feet and legs to a point where they were mostly functional, and then guzzled water and popped supplements when I got home. The cramping quickly resolved, but I know it was high the intake of salt that caused it. I'm much more careful about it now, but I have a New Year's Resolution to cut back and try to retrain my taste buds. That should be interesting.

The symptoms you describe are pretty much where I was in 2014, although it was so bad some nights I'd never get to sleep. The anxiety of not knowing what was wrong made things 100 times worse. Finding this forum and researching helped calm me down, and I'm sure that alone was responsible for some of my decrease in symptoms.

I continue to search for a cause, but I know the odds are slim for that happening. Regardless, I'll fight the good fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicosalt View Post
JanieG:
Funny how a post on a forum feels like the best gift ever! Thank you SO much for replying!
I will read this ever so closely many times, dissecting every point you made. I'm a year into this beast with minor symptoms so far- burning and uncomfortable, random shocks, but enough to disrupt sleep and cause anxiety.
Did you avoid all grains? Were you attentive to dairy? Coffee? (Part of my problem is husband, who is supportive so far, but a bit leery about how much modification he'll "listen" to As such, I'm trying to be clear and accurate about A PLAN.)
More armor for my arsenal!! Your response was pretty comprehensive and I thank you again, JanieG, but must add: If you think of anything other little thing, lemme know!!
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (12-31-2016), Chicosalt (12-30-2016), mrsD (12-28-2016), Sophie0513 (12-29-2016)