View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 07:27 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I pray she never gets tested for ADD or ADHD . I know I have ADHD, I have had since early childhood basically a classic case of it if ever there was one. But just like my dyslexia, because I was never give the "crutch" of "disorder" I was able to develop my own coping skills for my issues. My DGD acts very much like I did so I've not really a doubt that she has one or the other, but she does lack the lacking of impulse control. Something I struggled with a lot more when I was younger and almost got run over a few times and did technically drown once thanks to it. Whereas my brother like me has all the signs of ADHD, but like the DGD also lacks the lack of impulse control. But he also was brought up that there are certain rules in life that must be followed, deal with it.

My cousin is more an example of what can happen and sadly all too often does happened when given the "crutch" of " disorder" she was tested for ADHD and only showed a fraction of the signs my brother and I exhibit, she was medicated for it and given her councelling, special treatment at school, and all that jazz that goes with a "disorder" and she uses it as an excuse to this day for why she can't get her chores done, why she can't hold down a job, why she can't maintain a steady relationship, why she sleeps all day, why she insomnia, why she has/does/can't.... and I'm not saying she's lying about it, she has zero coping skills for the disorder, she was never given a chance to develop them honestly, they drugged her and still are, mad enough her spend a year of talking to someone for 30 minutes a week, and then pretty much told her welcome to your life here's your list of excuses and all the failures you can expect to experience so don't even bother setting a bar let alone setting one too high, just leave the bar alone and walk away, no one has any expectations for you anyways, but it's not your fault it's the fault of ADHD you poor baby,

And it's not just my cousin, my mothers now manager who was an associate she used to manage before retiring was and to a large extent still is, the blame it all on ADHD. Diagnosed, drugged, counseled on his excuses and then never again held accountable for his actions, after all he has a "disorder". Don't get me wrong, it is a real disorder and it can greatly upset your life if you allow it to, but if you exhibit signs in childhood long before any drugs or some kind of "crutch" is simply handed to you, first and foremost give the kids a chance to cope on their own, it goes ever so much further than if you drug, and release them from any and all future accountability. And sadly that what too many doctors, parents and school do to our kids.

Most people are shocked that I'm dyslexic, and that I lack the ability to sound out words, and I do struggle to read aloud if put on the spot to read something. Which is about the only time I end having to explain that I'm dyslexic and yet I got the highest scores in reading comprehension of my schools on all the standardized test I was always in the 99th percentile only because there's no such thing as the 100th percentile for standardized tests. But I got perfect scores, not a single mark off. My parents knew I was dyslexic before I even started kindergarten, but I was never told I was dyslexic until I was much older and we began working on Latin in school. And I simply couldn't read the words, I could define them all, I could recognize them all, but darned if I could tell the teacher what the heck the word was if she didn't tell me first. I couldn't even begin to spit it out.
ger715 (12-30-2016), St George 2013 (01-04-2017)