View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 09:32 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

bddouglas

Sorry to hear of your daughter's plight. Just a quick addition to Starznight's useful suggestions. For getting a drink during the night - I often need to sip water at night due to dry mouth from Sicca syndrome but leaving a glass of water on the bedside table was a risk because I would often knock it over. Simple solution is a sports bottle (I was able to find a smallish one) with pull-up sipper top - fill it up before bed then I don't even have to get out of bed for a drink. If I knock it over but have forgotten to close the top only a few drops spill.

Re life management skills if the blindness doesn't resolve here's a link to one service whcih you may already have found: the Florida Division of Blind Services. (there may be other organizations)

Main Web Page - Florida Blind Services

It seems as though the only Rehabilitation and Independent Living program center is in Daytona Beach - some distance from Jacksonville but it is a funded residential service. Check out the 'Main Menu: FAQ's' and 'Programs & Services: Independent Living and Rehabilitation Center'. There is also a district office in Jacksonville which may be a place to start.

It must be an anxious time for you waiting to get a confirmed diagnosis, especially over the holidays when clinics may be on short hours. If the blindness is confirmed permanent then a residential skills training program could be a positive step to adjusting before moving to a new house. Being in the company of others in the same situation could also help your daughter to regain some confidence and adapt easier.

I hope for you and your daughter's sake you hear back from the neuro soon.

Take care

Last edited by bluesfan; 12-30-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: correction
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bddouglas (12-31-2016), Starznight (12-31-2016)