View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 05:50 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Happy New Year - flare of SFN and baffled by something muscular?

Hello - I haven't been here for a while as so much has been going on and I'm now a month into another immunesuppressant med for my Sjogrens - Mycophenolate Mofetil/ Cellcept. So far I've had no adverse side effects but not much improvement either. As anyone who knows me too fron the Sjogrens World forums will know - this is only for a trial period of five months. I can't tolerate the Gabapentin family and am told if this doesn't work I'll not be offered anything more unless my organs become involved. My neurologist is very against drugs for me full stop and they all defer to her so it's a miracle I've been able to capitalise on lack of multidisciplinary togetherness in order to get to try a last disease modifying drug.

In addition to the usual SFN everywhere (currently flaring post Christmas/ New Year period) and disequillibrium, I also suffer fro a very high pitched tinnitus and dismotility plus severe GERD and palpitations.

All this I deal with in an ad hoc way and sometimes things do really work. Zantac/ Ranitidine taken regularly in place of PPIs has given me great relief recently for example. Keeping busy, resting, drinking a lot of water and avoiding unhealthy food and all alcohol has helped - as does making myself walk the dogs daily and keeping eyes moist.

But the one thing that I cannot get a handle on is the crushing weakness in my limbs while resting. I end up lying awake feeling like a prisoner in chains. It seems to be the opposite of RLS where I feel unable to move about at all, can barely lift the duvet or move my pillows for weakness/ leaden-limbs. My wrists and ankles plus calves are particularly pathetic and this induces a kind of panic in me because I then feel trapped. Once I break the spell and make myself move it improves - but then the sense of turning to stone starts up again as soon as I'm still and it's worsening all the time. I get very little quality sleep now because of it.

I had nerve conduction studies with EMG recently but nothing showed up at all. In fact my nerve and muscle responses were very healthy indeed I was told. So what on earth is this weakness about can anyone explain? When I do wake there's a feeling of tingle and warm glow all around my upper body and my finger tips seem to give off electric shocks. My doctors are mystified and I'm exhausted by this longstanding and steadily worsening symptom. Anyone else have this or know what it might be?

Sjögren’s, Hashimoto’s and Systemic Sclerosis with Raynaud’s, Erythromelagia and small fibre polyneuropathy, GI problems top to tail, degenerative disc disease and possible additional autoimmune diseases
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote