Thread: DBS - why wait?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 10:19 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

i read these 2 books
1. life with a battery operated brain published in 2009. describes 1 person's experience starting in 2007, i'm assuming the risks have decreased since then. this person had complications around a year later which just brings up the need for people to support you during the whole process.
2. a patient guide to deep brain stimulation

i didn't do my normal research since it was my understanding that surgeons won't operate on you if they're not 100% certain you would be significantly better off and very low risk and i was told i was an excellent candidate since i responded well to l-dopa. i had to be recommended by my mds, pass the 2 psychological tests for depression and dementia, measure my urpds(?) movement score with and without medication I think there is high enough demand at the better institutions that they aren''t going to operate on you just because they want the money.

you can wait for something else, there is duodopa and another l-dopa pump that's doesn't require surgery like duodopa, there's a pig cell implant in phase2 in new zealand that might be approved only in N.Z. in 2018 and you'd have to live there for awhile if you could even get it. i kept waiting hoping there would be more of a cure but i don't see on coming in the next 5 years. if your neuro is willing to recommend you for testing and your insurance will pay for it then at least do the testing.. you can change your mind up until the day of the surgery. at least ror me, my surgery was scheduled 3 months after i was approved, so i wouldn't wait to at least take the tests, i was told the psych results were good for 1year. i think st joes and boston scientific have come out with more sophisticated DBS equipment, leads with more active points that might be worth looking into and what MEDTRONICS has coming out.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote