View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 12:39 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

NW,

I will try a very brief synopsis of my return to exercise.

I was active before my accident so it was VERY important for me to get back to running.

Basically I attempted way to early and tried to man my way through it, the jarring of running proved to be way to much as well as the bumpy farm roads I drive on, even walking was traumatic for almost 2 years.

I stupidly swung a sledge hammer to break up some concrete 3 months after having the left side of my skull rebuilt, I didn't seem to understand the severity of what happened to me and that really set me back for months.

I continued to test my recovery and if it proved to much I waited awhile for more healing.

It has been 2.75 years now... I cannot run on the street still but I can run on a treadmill while inclined, it doesn't jar my head and I swim.

I cannot get my heart rate up on the high end for sustained periods as I could pre accident without causing headaches but I am active again with cardio and weights and back to enjoying skiing again this summer and soon in the snow again.

I have been most fortunate and thrilled to be active again even if there are some limitations but maybe at 57 it is time to accept a little slowing down.

Listen to your body, it will give you clues as to what you should and shouldn't be doing...it took me awhile to learn what my body was telling me but I did catch on.
Bud is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote