Thread: First Post Here
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 07:38 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Blood work will not rule out a brain bleed. At this point, unless his symptoms increase to include a severe headache and/or loss of motor control and/or slurred speech, a CT Scan looking for a brain bleed is not indicated.

The more important issue is an assessment to help keep track of his improvement so you know how to reintegrate him into school. Pushing him into activities and school can slow his recovery. But, as I've said, he does need mild stimulation to encourage good brain blood flow. I was hoping a concussion clinic would also encourage mild stimulation and give you a secure sense of his condition. The 'close is good enough' primary physician attitude can leave parents feeling at a loss.

I read the McMaster protocol. Odd that it does not mention a month wait. They may be very busy, especially during hockey season. You might want to keep a journal tracking his struggles after any activities. It will be helpful. Don't feel a need to track everything. Just, day to day, good day, bad day, what activities on what days. More than that would be counter-productive.

My best to you both.

I ended up taking him to Mac because he had an atypical headache. Emerg dr there alleviated any worries I had.

He will return to school today full-time, but with the knowledge that he can take it as slow as he needs. He will meet with guidance this morning to discuss what he needs to get back to class. He will then attend 3/4 classes (no phys-ed).

He's been instructed by the dr in emerge if his headache is bad in class or starts to feel nauseous to go take a walk outside. If it's still continuing, find a quiet dark room and take a break there. But keep at it. No more napping.

We took him off Advil on Saturday to give him a rest and it worked fine, but Sunday he went back on as the headache got bad again.

It will just be a long road to hoe right now.

It's all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swim4life is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote