View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

VincentH,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

I made it through you post. I would usually be unable to read such a long paragraph. You put a lot of detail in.

You need to understand, you are very early in the recover timetable. 85% of concussions see recovery within 6 weeks with no special treatment.

My first impression. You have no memory issues. Your ability to recall inconsequential detail shows your memory is doing fine, even outstanding.

You are intelligent and a high achiever. This is the kiss of death to concussions because even the slightest symptom becomes a monster symptom.

Your anxiety seems to be in full force, even to the point of some OCD like symptoms. This makes even slight concussion symptoms much worse.

You have done too much online research about concussions. That is not helpful to your condition. It causes anxiety in many. Some of your research was faulty or misunderstood. "which speaking in terms of brain injuries should be the time when I shouldn't have to worry extensively about a brain injury - given that for teens and young adults, the recovery time for an injury of this nature is far less on average compared to those in later adulthood."

Age does not impact recovery time as much as it impacts completeness of recovery as age related brain deterioration mixes with injury caused symptoms. Everybody at every age should be concerned so as to reduce risk of a head injury. Unfortunately, the youthful "I am invincible" thought pattern puts many youth and young adults at risk.

Vomiting 6 days after your injury strongly suggests the vomiting is anxiety related. When vomiting is a symptom of a head injury, the nausea and vomiting happens close to the time of injury and decreases from that point. It does not increase 6 days later.

I am concerned that a hit to the back of the head has caused a subtle neck injury that is manifesting with symptoms that overlap a concussion. I suggest icing your neck and being cautious about your head and neck posture when resting or sleeping.

You need to keep your mind active with low stress activities that do not include doing any online research about concussions or head injuries. Anxiety can make a very minor symptom into a major symptom. In some, these minor symptoms pre-existed the concussion but were 'looked for' after reading about concussion. It is amazing how we disregard existing symptoms until a trauma causes us to look for symptoms because a doctor asked about that specific symptom or we read about that symptom online.

Anxiety can easily impact memory/recall, especially information needed for an exam. Anxiety disrupts focus. Learning to reduce anxiety can make a big difference in ability to focus and recall.

One of the symptoms you listed was stumbling/coordination. This is a primary symptom of dyspraxia. Other symptoms you mention are also symptoms of dyspraxia. Aspergers also throws a monkey wrench into the whole scheme of things. Add depression and anxiety and you have the perfects storm. So, stay off the internet, avoid thinking about concussions by keeping your mind busy, maybe take up a mid-evil oriented craft of knitting, crocheting and sewing to keep your hands and mind occupied. Maybe you can try to make some costumes. Stay away from any risks like sparring. And start living your life while avoiding stressful situations.

Read the Vitamins sticky at the top for ideas about nutrition and things to avoid. Make some notes so you do not have to go online to review the information. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol.

You will do much better if you give yourself a break.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote