View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 11:25 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
CE,

I missed 2 summers of water skiing and 2 winters snow skiing....fortunately I am back at both 2.5 years later, it will be 3 years in April since my accident.

I can tell you that despite the problems I am in good shape again and my time on skis is really deeply appreciated as never before. It was a driven passion, now it is a blessing that brings joy, same goes for my time at the gym.

My nagging deal on the water is when I first come out of the water all the motion of the water from the boat churning the water around it, the wake and wind/breeze making ripples can be confusing.

I also have trouble in the gym when the treadmills are busy...there are 60 machines and when they are full all the legs moving and the different colors of the women's clothes moving are a bit overwhelming at times but I figure ways around it all.

I don't know if this will make sense to you, it is my theory. I believe what happens is pre accident I was able to filter out motion that was inconsequential to the chore at hand...it was automatic. Now, I must conciously filter and categorize fast paced and busy motion. It is quite learnable.

Bud
I have had similar troubles on the water too. I had the sensation of bobbing up and down on the waves for almost a week after a couple hours on rough water this summer. It was as if my fight/flight response was getting triggered with every wave.

I forgot to add earlier that I have done the graded levels of exercise before, and built up some endurance. There just seems to be this plateau with lifting and the head pressure. I hope I can regain that progress I made after pushing it too hard last week though.
ConcussedEngineer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote