Thread: Parrot visitors
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 04:05 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD
You are so lucky to have these colorful birds in your area.
I'd love to have them here.

We feed the birds here every day. The last two summers we did not go to our vacation home as it is very difficult for me to manage now with my more limited mobility. So we have been feeding thru the summer months and have seen many interesting sights, and behaviors that we missed before. The little goldfinches are fun to watch coming to my flowers. The parents teach the fledglings how to get seeds out of spent flowers. And I have many photos of this process now, which I am using to do drawings from. The males are bright yellow during the summer and females a yellowish olive color. I put out 100% cotton fluff in a "corn cob feeder" for their nesting starting in April and thru July. They nest later than other songbirds, and I have many interesting photos of this process too.

This photo is of a fledgling resting on some spent flowers.
mrsD-hello!
I like the picture of the finch fledgling. I have finches but since I don't feed them, they don't stay in the yard long. How could I tell if there was a fledgling in my yard? (Do you know because you know your birds that well or is there a signature look to them?)
I have a hummingbird feeder. It's so strange to me, I never see them and within 5 minutes of putting out the liquid they're right there. (This was my first year feeding them). Thanks for sharing!
I had a robins nest this year- unfortunately right over the front door. Couldn't see a thing and couldn't use the door until they left- they divebombed me and made a loud racket! Live and learn. 😊
Hotfoot53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kiwi33 (01-20-2017), Littlepaw (01-28-2017), mrsD (01-20-2017)