View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 02:16 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanitad View Post
This is a discussion you really need to have with your neurologist but at the end of the day, I think it is your decision. I didn't have an enlarged thymus or any sign of a tumor. However, when I had some enlarged lymph nodes in my chest, the docs had to open my chest to get to them to make a diagnosis because they couldn't get to them any other way, even though we tried! Anyway, once they had to open my chest, I insisted they remove my thymus at the same time. At that point I had been diagnosed with mg for 5 years and was having some serious problems with walking. breathing, etc.

My surgeon resisted, but my neuro backed me up and once they removed the thymus, they found a 2nd stage tumor in the thymus which meant I underwent 28 rounds of radiation on my chest. So, if I hadn't insisted on removing the thymus, the tumor would probably have grown much larger and when you research thymus cancer, it is very fast growing and very difficult to treat once it reaches stage 4.

So my point is that you know your body and it is up to you to discuss this with all your docs (neuro and primary care) and make your own decision.

Btw, the enlarged lymph nodes (which the docs thought might be non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) turned out to be sarcoidosis, another autoimmune disease. Fortunately, it is currently in remission.

Good luck!
Has the thymectomy helped your MG?
Rollsa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FREDH (01-23-2017)