View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I'm so sorry to hear that your Mom isn't doing well. It's so hard to watch a loved one decline after knowing them in the prime of their life.

I went through the same scenario with my Mom. She lost so much weight but you could not get her to eat anything she didn't want to. She looked frail and helpless but she was strong as an ox! She would clamp her jaw shut and nothing could open it.

We used to give her laundry baskets full of clean wash cloths and dish towels. She'd fold them, bring them to me or my Dad, we'd take them into the laundry room and dump them into another laundry basket and that was her "new" job. Folding the towels. She would do that for hours.

I stopped trying to reason with her. Whatever she thought was generally what we'd agree with. She'd tell me about the flowers she planted along the back of the house (there were not any) and I'd tell her how pretty they were. By the time the words left her lips she'd be on to the next thing.....never to mention the flowers again. It was sad but also nice to just have conversations with her. Regardless of whether they were about actual things that were really happening. They were happening in her mind and that was all that mattered.

I'm praying for you and your Mom. It's a rough road to travel but our attitude sets the tone for how enjoyable the day will be for them. Heck, we used to go to the farmers market nearly every day (according to Mom) and buy all kinds of fruit and vegetables. At least Mom thought we did and she loved to talk about it. We went a lot of places without ever leaving our back yard!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (01-24-2017), Gethprime (03-17-2017), St George 2013 (01-25-2017)