View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 06:46 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Chronic Subjective Dizziness

Hey everyone,

I just got back from my last session of vestibular therapy. My therapist checked my eyes out and said that my VOR cancellation was good (my eyes and head are moving well together) and that I no longer need to go to therapy! YAY! But...

I am still constantly dizzy. Always rocking or swaying and it has been a lot worse the past month. So I asked her what it could be. She mentioned neck issues (my neck is suuper tight still), sinus issues (cold, dry air got my nose all stuffed), possibility for vestibular migraines, and this new disorder I had never heard of...Chronic Subjective Dizziness.

I looked it up and it basically seems like a condition that follows an acute vestibular disorder (like from a head injury), and even when that injury is healed, the brain still think its dizzy. One link described it as like PTSD for the brain, the neurological connection is somehow still compromised and being super sensitive to motion. We're fine lying down or sitting, but standing and walking around bring on symptoms. Through studies, researchers have shown that anxiety is a big factor in this disorder, which is also called Persistent Postural-Perceptual Dizziness.

I am going to see a neurologist soon who is aware of this disorder (not many are it is still very new), and hopefully he can treat it. Treatments so far have been with SSRI's to a degree of success. In clinical trials, primary symptoms were reduced by at least half in 60%-70% of patients to entered the trials and 80% of patients who completed at least 8-12 weeks of treatment.

Anyway, I hadn't seen anything on this disorder so I figured I'd share and see if anyone else has heard of it or been diagnosed with it. I can post a link to the Vestibular Disorders Association webpage which describes it much better than I can.

Persistent Postural-Perceptual Dizziness | Vestibular Disorders Association
Mother of Dragons is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote