View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 12:51 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi babayaga,

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can buy at the store to use temporarily in place of your upper denture. It is possible for a dental lab to make a temporary denture within a weeks time. It would be very generic looking and not as durable as a permanent denture. It may also not fit real well, but it can be done. Keep in mind that there would be a fee for this denture and an additional fee for the new permanent denture.

If the clinic you were going to does not want to make a temporary denture, then call around to other dental offices and ask 2 things. One) Can you make me a temporary denture within a week or 2? Two) What is the fee?

If you are depending on your dental insurance to cover the cost of your dental work ... they will not likely cover both a temporary and a permanent denture within a 5 year time frame. Also, most dental insurance plans will not cover any denture that is replacing teeth that were extracted prior to the current plans coverage.

Let us know how things are going ....
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
Hello,
I am in the process of having a lower partial and a full upper denture made at a local dental clinic. A problem was discovered in one of my lower teeth and it will take at least 1 appointment in periodontics to fix it (Feb 13). After that the denture work starts, probably ending April/May).
I have been wearing a very old, ill-fitting upper denture. A few days ado I dropped it one too many times, used some repair stuff from the drugstore, but it would not take. When I applying the mixture I pressed too hard on the denture it came apart completely. - At the clinic I asked for a temporary denture and was told it would take 2-3 weeks to do that, about the time when the work starts. I don't mind going without upper teeth for awhile. But, walking around with sunken lips really, really bothers me. I can see becoming a hermit. I looked online for gum supports but it seems they are made to cover teeth and gums during sleep. I am wondering if somewhere out there is a device that is designed for 'toothless' gums and give me enough support to eliminate the sunken lips.
Many Thanks in Advance.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote