View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 03:12 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Thank you for bringing this up.

My understanding is that it is high doses of benfotiamine (and I mean HIGH) that are to be avoided in certain people with specific cancers. I have not read that benfotiamine causes cancer but only enables an already present cancer to grow more quickly depending on how much is taken.

Thiamine supplementation to cancer patients: a double edged sword. - PubMed - NCBI
Quote:
The thiamine dependent TK pathway is the central avenue which supplies ribose phosphate for nucleic acids in tumors and excessive thiamine supplementation maybe responsible for failed therapeutic attempts to terminate cancer cell proliferation. Limited administration of thiamine and concomitant treatment with transketolase inhibitors is a more rational approach to treat cancer.
of course this is an older paper, and there may be new guidelines.

Here is another article that discusses cancer and use of thiamine: (2015)

Introduction to Benfotiamine :: The Benfotiamine Project

It is always a good idea to discuss anything you read here with your doctor. But I will share that I have talked to oncologists a bit over the years and many are not up on supplement use.

Folate also has been discussed as a cancer flaring supplement and that still is going back and forth in medical studies. That was seen in young women taking 5mg a day to prevent neural tube defects in their babies. Colon cancers have been found in some of these patients and set up an alarm of sorts.

This is one reason I do not recommend really high doses of anything here. We have a medical suggestion/disclaimer here at NT which you can read in my signature.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
kiwi33 (01-29-2017)