View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 08:34 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Angry Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTerriers View Post
Hey Gunny,

I just had my consultation for my permanent SCS implant. I am going with the paddles, however, because after much research I have found that the paddles are less likely to migrate (According to a 9 year research study done they have a 25% less chance over a 5 year period vs. the percutaneous leads), plus they have a wider surface area and can offer more pain relief. They scar into place better. It is being done by a neurosurgeon, but they only need to drill a small hole to insert the leads (a laminotomy), they do NOT remove any bone (laminectomy) from the spine. There is a small risk of infection with both types of leads which is less than 2%. My implant is being done at the thoracic level and will be covering my left leg, foot and rib cage pain (My back is fused from L4-5, L5-S1 w/ 6 screws and 2 rods). My battery is being implanted in my abdomen because I am too thin to have it in my backside (my doctor said I don't have a lot of "real estate to work with). Like you, I also get adjustments. I was advised that once they paddles scar into place (4-6 weeks), I would be able to resume my adjustments on my back and pelvis. To be safe, however I may wait a little longer for healing.

I wish you the best with your trial and hope it works for you!

LT

This was a very good and thankful post you sent to me here my friend!
I sincerely appreciate you telling me about why you are going w Paddles too, but I know I would never be able to take it. YET- I understand exactly what he means by them wandering or drifting over time. I also don't know where they intend on putting the battery unit either to be honest. Hmm. Actually, this coming Friday is my Trial date and I have heard a damn thing from anyone yet which kinda ****** me off a bit. The Medtronic website shows all sorts of things i need to fill out, log or journal during the trial, etc? Guess that doesnt mean too much does it? Its actually the Post Procedure pain Im worried about. That and fact that NO PAIN MED seems to work for me anymore which is scary!

A friend at work said something about her Dr prescribing Fentanyl Lollipops for her once, but when mentioned to my Dr he said he'd lose his license! WTH?
ALL I ask for in life is to be Pain Free. No matter the cost or control, just let me live pain free!! (Sorry)
Gunny Fitz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (07-08-2017), ger715 (01-30-2017), PamelaJune (01-31-2017)