View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Sanjay,

About 50% or so of the cysts found in the jaw bone are Odontogenic cysts. Depending on the location and etiology of the cyst, they are called periapical, radicular, apical periodontal, root end cyst, or residual cysts.

There are different types of growths or masses that can form in the jaw bone that are not cysts but can look similar to a cyst on a radio graph. It is always wise for the oral surgeon to capture a specimen of the cyst(s) or mass(es) during the surgical removal and send it out to an oral pathologist for identification, culture and biopsy. Every oral surgeon has the instruments and materials to carry out this procedure. However, because it is not routinely done in every surgeons office, it should never be assumed that your surgeon will do it. Therefore, it is up to the patient to inform the surgeon, prior to the actual surgery, that they want the culture and biopsy done.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD001 View Post
Greetings Bryanna,

Are the 2 cysts into my jaw-bone called "Periapical" cysts ?

Thanks,

Sanjay

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SJD001 (03-06-2017)