View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 05:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

DB went shopping & cooked dinner while he was out picking up his hearing aids. Needed a new mould as the right one seemed to have developed a distinct crack in it and was causing disruption. Came home in a mood so I got out of the way. Was quite surprised he cooked.
Gerry he works 12 hour shifts with an hours drive each way, so a 14 hour day, plus the hour before he leaves and often 30 to 49 minutes when he gets home all dealing with sorting the dogs. It's why I get up at 4am to help because it is a very long day & I heartily wish he had the required energy to manage it. He works a shift system, 3 on 2 off, 2 on 3 off an 84 hour fortnight which includes every 2nd weekend and the weekend is always the 3 day shift. I get his uniform ready, wash etc (the new uniform shirts no longer need ironing yay) clothes dry his trousers as they are a bugger to iron if line dried. I try hard to do my part. I know he has been so sick these last 24 months and his immune system is still compromised. If anything, I'm surprised it's his colleague got Lumierres & not DB. He catches anything that's going, remember he even got legionnaires again last year. That's twice now he has had it, and the first time he had it was swiftly followed by swine flu.
I think I'm just operating on autopilot, I've looked at moving closer to his work but the way he talks about his job, we'd move there and before I know it, he'd be working back down in the city. So it's a conundrum. I've looked on and off for 10 yrs but he doesn't seem convinced/committed to a move and so we stay here. I think if I get rid of the pond it will take pressure off of him, I'm so over the weekly challenge of him maintaining it. The 2 new pumps he got which were supposed to be miracle workers and much less work have taken what was a monthly job of one pump to weekly job of 2 pumps. The guys in the shop convinced him (soul distributors) it would be a good upgrade, worst decision ever and I think they are lemons. Always breaking down. Now we can't even go away for fear of something happening. You might remember while DB was away 2 weekends in a row I had to climb in and sort the filters and pumps, imagine if I fell!! Yes the pond looks good, but you know what, no one sees it other than the dogs, and every morning I wake up worrying the water will have drained away and dead Koi littering the lengthy if it. Twice now the water has drained away due to those faulty pumps and the fish were surviving in 6 inches of water under the deck. The pond is normally about knee deep in the open end and a little deeper under the deck, under the deck has a dip so there is a catchment of water that doesn't drain. It's 11 metres long and up to 4 metrs wide under the deck & in the open between 2.5 to 3 metres. We didn't put it in, it was here when we bought but we did deck over half of it to give us a semblance of a back yard. Should have got rid of it then!!!
So I went to bed at 7.30 last night with the help of Xanax and up at 4 to help DB get going. Have to go to work today myself, should have gone yesterday but couldn't face it, must make the effort today. No tears so something must be working, but I do feel still dry mouth and dry eyes.
eva5667faliure (02-07-2017), ger715 (02-06-2017), RSD ME (02-09-2017)