Thread: mental fog
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

"No offense but you sound like one of many doctors out there who fail to recognize concussion due to his/her ignorance. "

Ignorance ???? Oh, I recognize concussion symptoms but I also have seen many instances where a very minor concussion symptom is combined with anxiety to become a major concussion symptom.

You posted "When I did this tic-like head shaking, I do it only once (down/up or right/left) then I stop it. Next, I start worrying about it like crazy. "

When anxiety kicks in, a symptom of 1 can quickly be a 10. It is not necessarily a psychological response. The anxiety can be psychological but once the anxiety chemicals (cortisol, adrenaline, etc) start flooding, the body perceives at a much more intense level.

The difference I have noticed is that those who can let go of the focus on the minor concussion symptom will be less likely to have that minor symptom become a major symptom.

When I shake my head and get a concussion symptom, (usually a strange sensation in the front of my head/face and a metallic taste), I recognize it, stop the behavior, and move on without looking back. I've had the same situation when I used to work with a heavy crawler-loader and it would jerk. I would stop, let things settle, regain my focus and move on. If I developed a headache or some other symptom later, I took an acetaminophen or ibuprofen and moved on.

I have never heard of any treatment for cognitive impairment other than learning to focus and shut out ambient stimuli and reducing stress and anxiety.

But, I do know that quality of sleep, which is difficult for people with anxiety or other PCS symptoms, it imperative to overcome brain fog and other cognitive issues.

A question worth answering may be. How much of the things I am stressed about are really as important as I thought they were when I look back in hindsight ? Many tend to make each day too stressful by trying to accomplish too much. Some of us have less tolerance in this area so reducing our expectations can cause a big improvement. I sold my business with many employees and started a new business with just me. My stress dropped significantly. Different careers have different stress levels.

The OCD person tends to think everything is important. Believe me. I understand this because I was caught in the thick of it. Others helped me realize that that was not the case. It changed my life but I had to change my perspective first.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote