View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 06:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
although I do have to disagree about those having "nerve blocks done".. I have never heard of anyone saying the blocks made it spread! If it did, we would all be having RSD spread.
I have spoken with many, many RSD patients through running an RSD forum, as well as emailing, IM'ing, etc. I am not trying to come across as a know-it-all, because I certainly am not, nor am I a medical professional. But, I can say that some of my members, as well as other people I met on the internet have had blocks and then had their RSD spread. Not all of them, by a long shot, I am not looking to scare anyone, but it can and does happen a lot more than one might think.

For example, my situation... I have what my PM dr called a "bizarre RSD presentation" because it started in my neck and shoulder area, then moved as follows: back, sides, right arm now left leg. Mine was all in the neck and shoulder areas until I started having injections of different meds to help with the pain, it then began to spread. Now my PM doctor has said NO MORE - even anything minimally invasive CAN cause the RSD to spread. So, in my case, I cannot have SCS, blocks (would be injecting my RSD area), no IV's or blood draws above the waist, etc. all because anything, even minimally invasive, can cause the RSD to spread. So, unless a surgery is a life or death situation, I have been told not to do it, and with the amount my RSD has spread, I wouldn't consider it.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in on the topic, just to warn people. I was always told that all these things could be a help, but I am living with the results of what they can do, and what I have witnessed others go through.