View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 12:52 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Help Almost One Week Now - Moved to St Jude

For the last 34 minutes I've sent msg after msg to Family & Friends informing them that I'm doing well after the surgery I've been trying hard to put off for so long! Then I figured may as well do it all at once using this method instead so that everyone will be informed = less ???

This morning I had a Medtronic Spinal Cord Stimulation Device inserted into my spinal cord (literally inside all the spinal Vertabra itself!) He inserted the large needles, containing the wire leads inside, from about T-3, all the way up to C-1 - which according to my awesome Dr, was miraculous due to all the "exterior" scarring and visible arthritis! He was somehow able to get wires up to C-1, which you can see in the X-rays.

Fast forward - the "Brain" unit extends out of my back about a foot, and has a connective piece on my end. When the SCS "Remote Control" is placed on top of that piece, I am able to change the Stimulation "Pulse Rates & Programs" the Medtronics Rep, who was present. (If anyone knows what a "TENS UNIT" is - think of that inside my spinal cord touching the cord itself too!
I have 5 days to test drive this unit to observe if any pain relief is gained. Another forum I am on for other SCS patients have informed me how Over the Moon they are thanks to their SCS Implant, some not so lucky too. (Of course my screen name is none other than "Gunny Fitz" too! IF relief is found, then a permanent implant is done using a higher end unit that has many more features that detect my exact body position during use to ensure I don't electrocute myself!

At that time the Brain Unit will be inserted into a cut above my belt line on hip, and a better remote will control it's programs. Either way everyone, hopefully I'll be able to figure out if it truly works enough for me to make a decision. Right now I'm having intense pulses run down my right arm to fingertips NOT on specific point on my Cervical Spine - adjustment being made tomorrow.

My back looks like a mess with external wires etc. Whats cool is that the final version unit allows me to go try MRI Machines without it being ripped from my back too! Battery life is like 5-10 years but can also be wirelessly charged too - just like my Samsung Galaxy!! lmfao!

Turned out the Medtronic unit did NOT do anything for my Cervical Pain!
The Pulsated programs were only felt in the arms, and the High Frequency non pulsated ones may have worked a bit better but nothing at all was ever felt in the Cervical Region at all , which is very unfortunate!

Pic from Lead Install - which if you look closely at Xray were PERFECT according to Doc. He was able to get them ALL the way up to C-1 which he thought for sure he'd run into scar tissue inside, but was lucky.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SINCE THEN - They just changed out the Medtronic unit out with a St Jude's!

As in only one hour ago too! LOL. (They are using same leads as well- these Reps have a Professional Courtesy with each other which is great!)

Stay tuned.......
Attached Thumbnails
About To Start Trial Period on Cervical SCS-pic-jpg   About To Start Trial Period on Cervical SCS-resized-pic-jpg   About To Start Trial Period on Cervical SCS-xray-leads-copy-jpg   About To Start Trial Period on Cervical SCS-reseized-medtronic-brain-jpg   About To Start Trial Period on Cervical SCS-close-jpg  

Gunny Fitz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (07-08-2017), ger715 (02-10-2017), PamelaJune (02-10-2017)