View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member

Hi Folks

I woke up about 2 weeks ago with radial nerve palsy.

I also thought i had had a stroke of sorts initially but somehow managed to put that thought behind me.
It was a Sunday morning so I just relaxed and researched online as much as i could to try and understand what was presenting itself to me.

Its a shock considering there was no trauma as such.
I am 46yrs, 80kg, 6.2, pretty active, ride my dirtbike every other weekend, never overweight. I do have T2 diabeties though, which is a real challenge.
Had this conditions for about 12 years now, in the family as well (Mom).

Anyway, went to MD, referred to Neuro whom I got to see a week later and he just confirmed the radial nerve palsy.
I seem to have damaged this just above the elbow before it splits so have classic wrist drop. basically all extensor muscles in the forearm are on strike.

I still have full motion in the shoulder and elbow and good strenght in those movements when compared to my other good arm (right).
None of this helps as I am a lefty, so cant even write with a pen.

So neuro had a look, did not ask for EMG, and said just wait and come back in a month.

I have done a mini google anatomy course on the muscles in the forearm responsible for extension.
I try and move the wrist (extend) and can, but not past neutral sort of position and not with gravity acting against the hand.

Just today I have noticed a little 'flicker in the forearm muscles when i try and move it. Maybe brachiorradialus? dunno so many muscles there I am not qualified to tell.

I am holding onto some hope with that flicker though.
No thumbs up or confident finger extension possible.

I have a further appointment with the neuro in about 3 weeks.
I suspect that if there is not a tangible recovery by then he will ask for an emg.

I have read many stories online (dangerous) about recovery times varying from a month or 2 to years to never, but I am trying to remain positive.

Anyway, just thought i would share as I came across this topic while looking researching this condition.

It is the strangest thing, to stare at your limb or extension thereof, and will it to move, and it does nothing.
Whilst this is certainly traumatic to me, it is one hand and a wrist, and a lot of folks have a harsher deal than that, but I would welcome any advice or shared experience regarding this issue.

Thanks
GrantM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote