View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 02:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Many clinics focus on return to play and athletes and patients who are closer to the original injury date.

Have you checked with the Ontario Neurotrama Foundation ? They have affiliates that may be able to help.

I don't remember right now but there is a large concussion program at one of the Florida hospitals.

I seem to remember. You are in the Bahamas or Barbados or ? Aren't you.
The Bahamas - I was a pilot once - you PM'ed about Bonanzas' and GUMPS
Back then I believed 'It' would all go away in a few months. I now know I'll never be a pilot - or anything for that matter.

I'm hesitant to deal with Canadian Health Care - it's a bit too much of a circus that you can't simply pay your way through - government is too involved. The US is simpler - capitalist society....you get what you pay for and if you don't like it........leave and find another.

I've looked around at all sorts of treatments and most of them seem like snake oil....there's that one quack injecting steroids directly into people's brainstems. He patented it in an attempt to give it some legitimacy.

Someplace in Guelph that sticks magnets to your neck......seems quacky

The Buffalo Protocol seemed to hold some weight but alas, they only want to treat the few.

In year one I tried a chiropractor but he only got angry at me when I told him it wasn't helping me.

Recently
Somebody on reddit.com/r/TBI posted:

Quote:
I am one of the TBI survivors who have had great success with neurofeedback. I recommend that people with moderate or severe TBIs try to find a dr. (neurologist, psychologist, etc.) who does it because a practitioner does not have the knowledge to deal with a TBI; they are trained to work on a normal, healthy brain. Practitioners come from all backgrounds, including social work.
As for the wiki page, it is more positive than it used to be. Neurofeedback treatment is becoming widespread. Here's an article from the Washington Post.
Washington Post Article

This silly article gave me some hope that it might help me.

I thought I should ask others thought before jumping down the rabbit hole. I will only have one shot at this.

My old man is not going to pay for every little strange treatment that pops up. You shoulda heard the arguments "The Ghost In My Brain" caused.

Father: "HOW CAN FUNNY GLASSES HELP YOU!?!?!"

Me: "I don't know, but isn't it worth trying??? This endless attitude of "just work it off" is NOT WORKING!"

Father: "Whenever I'm not feeling well, I just accomplish something and I feel better"

If I survive long enough until his health starts to fail from age, I WILL MAKE HIM EAT THOSE WORDS.

I'll give this thread a few days - hopefully someone will chime back in with positive or negative experience with neurofeedback.
Otherwise, I'll ask you for a suggestion as to where to go.

Not that I'm hesitant to take your advice, it's just (and I know it's childish) part of me wants to believe that this might actually work.
windseeker242 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote