View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 07:00 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I can't address your post in detail, but I would like to suggest one thing for you to try.

Avoid heat in the form of hot baths, hot tubs, heating pads, saunas, etc. I learned this from a very interesting chiro, who explained to me how damaged nerves are inflamed by heat. If there is inflammation present in other tissues, it will accelerate with heat application.

I know it sounds difficult if you are chilled, but wrapping yourself up in a warm blanket is much better as your own body heat will warm you. It just takes a few minutes longer.

A warm drink (not hot) will also help internally. New studies suggest very hot foods/drink can lead to esophageal cancer, so only warm drinks are best.

Warm baths are allowable but limit them to 15 minutes or so.

One can get into a very painful spiral if using heat too much. So give limiting and avoiding heat for a while and see what happens.
Thanks very much Mrs D. I know you are right and I make sure never to have a hot bath or shower before bed time. I generally have my baths mid to late afternoon (I'm self employed) and the SFN is usually only bothersome at night. But maybe even this is a trigger for attacks later on. Certainly when I had symptoms of RA for a few years I found that the hot water bottles etc that I craved would trigger horrific flares of inflammatory arthritis. This would certainly seem to tie in with what your chiro explained.

I think the really bad nights are after the fire has been lit or the heating has been on and I dry out too much. If I can sleep with window open and extra bed clothes then I sleep better but where I live is very windy so that's not always an option. I feel the cold so badly these days - even wrapped up with toasty bed socks and a duvet and lots of clothes on - it's like it's got into my bones and nerves and only a hot bath will get me warm again. Swings and roundabouts! I often make hot drinks but rarely get around to drinking them while they are hot!

I will be extra vigilant now as my oesophogus is very troublesome too these days.

Sjögren’s, Hashimoto’s and Systemic Sclerosis with Raynaud’s, Erythromelagia and small fibre polyneuropathy, GI problems top to tail, degenerative disc disease and possible additional autoimmune diseases
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote