View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 12:35 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

FWIW, I had this happen to me just today.

Went to the mailbox, darned CDR was there! They were even a month early this time. They send it out every three years like clockwork, but usually in March.

I was originally approved in 2007 on Bipolar Disorder. Benefits started in 2008. Got my first CDR (short form) in the mail and filled it out in 2011.

I don't remember what I said on it, but I know that I probably did everything the worst way possible. I didn't read anything like "Don't put remarks on the short form." or Social Security's flow chart for processing the form that shows you what they do at each question. Anyway, they send me the long form UGH.

The long form is basically 11 pages long. You have to tell them at least as much stuff as on the initial application. It was horrible. I decided that while I was attaching more information anyway, that I'd go ahead and tell them about my high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and so on. I explained that I was having trouble affording treatment for anything while waiting for Medicare to kick in the first two years, and that I was going to a local free clinic at a church. Then they asked if they could speak to anyone who knew me, like friends and family members. They sent out a bunch of forms to my mom.

Anyway, they sent me a letter back that said my benefits would continue and they would review my case from time to time.

2014. Another short form I don't remember what my profile score was, but the form indicated that I was a Low. I filled it out according to the instructions and made no remarks. Everything in the boxes. Original diagnosis only... All that good stuff. Two months later, they sent me a letter that said that my benefits would continue and they would review my case from time to time.

2017. Today. I get a short form. I'm a Medium with a profile score of 0101! How does that happen? Like I said, I think the profile score was higher last time, but still....The profile scores start at 0000 and go as high as 9999. How is a 0101 a Medium?

Whatever. I filled out the form with no remarks and everything in the boxes, original diagnosis, dates of recent doctor visits, etc.

I was trying to figure out how to answer "Are you better, the same, or worse?". I looked at the flow chart for the Social Security people again and the darned thing says if you're a Medium (which I am, somehow) and you say "same", they do a CDR right there, no question about it, so I did some more thinking and decided to answer "worse", because it's hard to measure these things, because I do feel worse, and because I am measurably worse.

If they send me a long form (Oh god, please, no....), I will qualify that with remarks. First off, my boyfriend lives with me and can tell them everything about how I am tranquilized by my meds, which have changed, gone up, and the doctor added more since February 2015 (which is when the form said it was interested in). I was filling out other paperwork trying to get on the Medicare Savings Program the other day in Illinois. They completely screwed up my case. It's been seven months and someone flagged that Indiana was still paying (it's not), so I filed an appeal and set some extra pages that I didn't need on top of a burning candle and almost set our apartment on fire. (That's definitely worse.). I can't remember things sometimes. I go to tell a story and my bf is like "You've already told me this 100 times!", and I can't remember things like where I put something that I just had. I was in a research study for people with bipolar disorder at the University of Chicago last summer and I felt totally embarrassed, because they would say a string of words and I wouldn't remember any of them, or maybe just one, or I'd tell them a word that wasn't there. I felt stupid.

So, we'll see what happens. Now, from what I understand, the question of whether you've seen the doctor recently (which I have and I put the original diagnosis and last three dates), if you say YES, and you're a Medium or High, it says "Take a CDR action if there is anything in the narrative or DIRCON (telephone call with you) to indicate a possible medical improvement.".

So, I *think* I'm in the clear, but I don't want to jinx it.

It's hard to reach a conclusion that there's a medical improvement when there's no recent work or school activity, you say you're worse, you've been to the doctor, haven't been to the hospital, and there's no remarks.

Anyway, I'll check back in when I hear back. I dropped it in the mail right away to get it over with. The thought of being reviewed makes me sick to my stomach. You have no idea how stressful the process is (or maybe you do....if you don't, then pray you never find out!).
DBaron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote