Thread: My Iguana
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 02:15 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I am hoping that Bela is starting to feel a little better and is able to pull through. Iguanas do have a tendency to eat things that they are not supposed to eat. If something became lodged in his mouth, it is difficult to tell if it became lodged on its way down or its way up, so unless you have experience to pull it out yourself, I would recommend having someone who does have some experience removing it. If you can't find a vet in the area, talk with the people at a pet store that has a lot of experience with reptiles. They may be able to help, or be able to recommend someone who can.

Iguanas are also prone to mouth rot. It is very much like periodontal disease in people. If this is the problem, it needs to be treated as soon as possible before more complications come up.

Either way, knowing how much care and love you have put into Bela, I would find him a vet that is willing to work with him. Any vet that has experience with any reptiles should be able to help, but if you can't find one, vets with experience with birds or even small mammals can usually figure things out rather easily. Although anesthesia with reptiles should only be used in an extreme emergency. Anesthetic of any kind tends to send reptiles into shock and quite often does too much harm to their system.

Alaina
"Thanks for this!" says:
Littlepaw (02-14-2017)