View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 04:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Shocked What makes a cat YOWL so LOUD??

Tigger is a 17 y/o domestic shorthair female, spayed since 9 months old. Her yowling started probably back in early last summer, 2016. Loud yowling, mostly in the open basement at night, and not really often. We got the house ready to sell, that may have caused her some distress, moving furniture around and out. We lost her companion cat in July, but they never got along. For 16 years! Unless there was a sunny spot on the floor, then she, the other cat, and the dog would just a.l.m.o.s.t touch each other.

So we've been in the new house since August. Her yowling has gotten way worse; she's like a rooster - starting at daybreak. If she's not sleeping she's wondering around screaming. Horrible terrible sounds coming out of her mouth! We took her to the vet because I read these vocalizations could be caused by thyroid or kidney disease. Pain? maybe, I don't know.

She's quite aware of us, not dementia, and I don't think she's deaf.

Bloodwork showed she has an allergy, got meds for that. Although the vet could feel her thyroid was enlarged, bloodwork didn't indicate a problem there but did show a kidney problem. She's now on Science Diet KD, expensive food!

Here it is a month later, and we just lost the old dog. Tigger's yowling is now almost out of control. Is she afraid we're going to get rid of her, too? Is that all this is about? The noise is unreal!

Any cat psychologists here?

Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not yet the end.
Sparky10 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (02-14-2017), kiwi33 (02-15-2017), Littlepaw (02-21-2017)