View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I understand that I should have been more clear in my reply... I am not saying that blocks have not helped many people relieve their pain, not at all. I am saying that after blocks, many people have experienced their RSD spreading, sometimes not immediately, sometimes never, but it does happen.

Let me be clear on my point. If I had RSD in my leg, would I want and receive a block? YES... But... my RSD is IN the area where they administer the blocks, etc. After telling other RSD'ers that I know, that I couldn't have blocks because they feel they could cause my RSD to spread, they were hesitant and thought that my dr and I didn't know what we were talking about. I heard a lot of "well, they helped me tremendously", etc.
But my question to them was this... "would you let then stick a needle into your leg (arm, etc) where your RSD is?" They emphatically answered "No, never"... So, that is my point. We all have to do what is best in each situation. There are many doctors who are now realizing that there are factors which can cause RSD to spread. I am not saying that this happens in a majority of cases, I am saying that it can and does happen. I would never try to talk someone out of getting pain relief, we deal with too much pain. I just feel that, depending on where your RSD is located, there needs to be some caution, as well.

Nowhere in my previous post did I say that having blocks would not relieve pain, but in my situation, as I stated above, it is not in my best interests to try.