View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 09:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar
Just guessing here, but due to the changes & the loss of the other pets , "her companions"...she may be lonely and calling for them.
Her age is getting up there , so could be some ageing discomfort as a factor too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
Poor baby. My guess would be all the changes that have been happening. As long as you know she's not sick or in pain I'm not sure what to recommend.
She never liked the other animals, but she's an "only pet" for the first time in her life. I need a cat psychologist if this isn't a health issue!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD
Did the vet give prednisolone to her for the allergies?

If so, I'd taper her off and see what happens. Pred can cause psychosis as a side effect.
Yes, she's now taking 2.5mgs every other day. Allergy symptoms went away quickly.

Are you giving her more attention during the day? Some treats of shrimp or chicken?
Hard not to give her attention! But no to extra treats, she's a bit overweight.

Do some Googling about feeding a diet for kidney problems. The treatments tend to favor wet food instead of kibble now.
Science Diet KD is prescription food for kidney treatment.

It sounds very sad, your description of the howling which sounds like humans screaming.
Today she hit a note that sounded like she was choking.

I am tending to agree with Jo, that this might be a severe grief or stress reaction. Giving the kitty more attention, and loving, may make this better.
She has been more in my lap lately, almost demanding it.

You could also try giving some quality catnip. Some cats settle down with it, and we found it helpful for pain issues too. We use it for traveling in the car.
I can try catnip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33
One thing that you could think about is getting a replacement cat or dog to keep Tigger company.

This may not work because Tigger, as a 17 y.o., may find it hard to deal with a new companion animal but it might be worth considering.
I remember your posts about Susie, Kiwi, and I'm so sorry for your loss. My boyfriend and I are going to go petless after Tigger. I certainly hope she lives a long time, but quietly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD
You might want to check out this link:

That's the page I read that sent me to the vet in the first place! I had no idea that a cat yowling was a real situation.

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and suggestions.

I hope you can see this:
. Has some great ideas.

Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not yet the end.
Sparky10 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Littlepaw (02-21-2017)