View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb you know,

don't underestimate how depressing visiting that nursing home can be.
I work with long term care, and I get depressed just doing the orders and reading it all. It doesn't affect my colleagues much, but it does me.
For example one poor lady has breast cancer and gets 30 units of lidocaine jelly in special tubes to apply over her huge wound and the wound dressings...
It is the largest order I have ever seen...and it pains me each time I get it.
She must be suffering so. (I can only imagine the area she has open, and hurting!)

I think as we age, we become more sensitive to suffering. I know I am.
It becomes harder to avoid the truths of getting old.

One thing I do is avoid avoid the news. I watch a few minutes of headline news and the Yahoo titles, but I don't open them all by any means. The news is VERY upsetting, and we just don't need that on top of all the work/personal struggles.
We can't do a thing about most of it.

My husband has been a rock for me too. Having a significant other really helps. I also do my self-hypnosis in bed, and you can learn this trick at a therapist's too. It has helped me for YEARS! And I use my MP3 player in bed when I can't sleep...they are pretty affordable now. I have a Sansa e280 with 8 gig. I have my favorite nostalgia music on it. These players are really spiffy now...my first computer was 1 gig!

I'll be rooting for you this summer. Sending some positive vibes! I hope you feel better. Get some sun (light and Vit D) and that ALWAYS helps.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote