View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 03:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wini, listen to Erin; she is giving you some good advice.

I never test positive. Yet, I respond to Mestinon, "had" been diagnosed with Bells Palsy a couple of times, weaken nerves, and have a prominent thymus.

I know this is a tricky disorder, so I wanted to know if race had a role in this. I'm black.

What I discovered as the reason why I never test positive is because 75% of black ocular MG patients were seronegative and 68% of white ocular MG patients were positive in this one study I read.

Now, if I didn't have ocular MG. (The droopy eye was temporary for me. I do have weak eye muscles. However, the typical MG droopy eye only lasted for maybe 2 or 3 months out of my life) I probably would have stood a better chance of showing up positive.

Today, the neurologists -- there were 8 of them -- were split in the middle.
I had every test in the book, and I went back to the older neuro who told me right off the bat that I had MG. He just took one look at me and ordered up some Mestinon. (He was the 2nd doc to tell me. The first one I couldn't understand, because his accent was too thick. Plus, he never gave me anything for it, but something to regenerate my nerves.)

Over the years. . .

Listening to other docs and my own doubts about having the disorder took me on a whirlwind discovery of nothing but seronegative MG.

I went back to the 2nd neuro when my symptoms were worse, and he upped my mestinone. Since, he is about to retire, he referred me to a doctor. She is young but very knowledgeable of MG. She told me that I can pretty much tailor the dosage to how my body feels at the moment.
Poetist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (02-28-2017), ErinBear (02-18-2017), FREDH (02-18-2017), rach73 (07-03-2017)