View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

duarme,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Wow, you wrote a lot but very little about your physical injury. I'll try to pick through and see if I can help.

You say you have a history of depression and PTSD but are off medication at the present but considering going back on medications. Have you tried any brain nutrition regimen, vitamins, supplements, etc ? Please check the vitamins sticky at the top.

There are a few supplements that can be natural antidepressants for some. 5-HTP can increase serotonin levels. L-Theanine can help. There are others that help some. But, B-12, D3, magnesium, all of the anti-oxidants are a minimal regimen.

You don't say what symptoms you are still experiencing or what you have done to try to resolve any of them. You may struggle for words when you speak but you don't when you write. When you speak, it may help if you learn to practice or rehearse what you want to say. This can help make you make what you say easier to understand. When you write, you keep interrupting yourself which can be exhausting to sort through. Maybe it is just me because my PCS makes it difficult to follow complex communications.

But, he may also be struggling to follow your thoughts. This can lead to a sort of shutting down. He may be struggling with mild depression. This can make empathy and other emotional expressions more difficult to express.

It may be that when he does reach out, he gets confused by your response.

You appear to have fallen into the trap of projecting your needs onto him. 'He should know what I need. He should do such and such just so I can get by. He should ..... Why doesn't he......' When that happens, expectations will often not be met and the other person gets frustrated because they did the wrong thing. i.e. Gave you space when you wanted closeness. Gave you closeness when you needed space. Sometimes, getting close to somebody in a dark place can be very difficult.

My observation and suggestion is you need to address your depression, either with meds (yuk but they may be needed) or alternative means like nutrition and supplements. Just showing that you are trying to make a disciplined effort can help others be supportive.

What are you doing to try to resolve your physical symptoms ? Maybe we can help with that.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
duarme (02-18-2017), St George 2013 (02-18-2017)