View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 04:05 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Smile

Hello duarme: Welcome to NeuroTalk! I'm still a fairly new member here on NT. I'm a much more active member on NT's sister website: PsychCentral. I could write a lengthy reply to your post because I can relate to many parts of your post. I have also struggled with depression as well as anxiety plus some other stuff I won't even go into. I've also self-harmed & attempted suicide twice. You mentioned you had an injury last May. You didn't mention how the injury occurred. In my case, there's no one single concussive event I can point to. But suffice it to say my head has taken a beating over the decades (I'm an older person now) beginning before I even have memories.

I am married. But I have no extended family & I lead a pretty-much thoroughly solitary lifestyle at this point in my life. I have been on antidepressants (& a few other psych med's) in the past. But I no longer am. I've also tried seeing a few therapists in the past; but never found one I felt was worth the time & expense.

In my case, I managed to "keep the cork in the bottle", so to speak for the first 50 years of my life. (Like I said... I'm old!) It often wasn't pretty. But I did it. Then a not-too-serious bout with cancer resulted in me starting to slowly unravel. I continued to unravel for the next 15 or so years. Now, I think I'm pretty-much stable, although all of that stuff that I carried around inside for so many years is still there lurking beneath the surface.

Struggling with the effects of injury or illness along with mental health issues is so difficult. I'm a very private person in real life & I never shared any of what I was carrying around inside with my wife prior to my first major suicide attempt. And even then I kept a lot to myself. It wasn't until following my 2nd major attempt that I finally decided to at least try letting it go. What I found was that she wasn't really interested in hearing it. She just wanted to pretend everything was okay & for us to go back to living life the way we always have. So, long story short, that's what I've done. The way I see it, she didn't sign up for this & she shouldn't have to deal with it now. It's tough sometimes. But that's just the way it is for me. (I'm not at all suggesting you should do likewise.)

Please... excuse the crudeness of this... but there is a saying I once heard: "There's no point in trying to teach a pig to sing. Because pigs can't sing. And all it does is make them mad." My personal experience tells me that people who don't struggle with mental health issues don't understand & really don't want to be involved. They just want & expect that those of us who do struggle will simply suck it up & get on with it. From what you wrote, it sounds as though that's sort-of the situation you're in. He just wants to pretend everything's okay & to go back to the way he perceives things used to be. I wish I could tell you how to handle this. Unfortunately I can't. I guess each of us has to figure out our own solution. Mine seems to be working for me. But I certainly wouldn't recommend it for anyone else.

Anyway, I didn't have any solutions to offer you here. I just wanted to let you know I read your post & to share something of my own similar struggle. I wish you well.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
duarme (02-18-2017)