View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 09:31 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Your vitamin and supplement regimen looks good. Just a few comments.
Is the mag, mag oxide or a version that has better absorption ?
Is the Turmeric an extract with piperine? The usable curcumin in most turmeric and even curcumin is very low. The body has a difficult time absorbing it in most forms.
Some B12 complexes have low doses of B12 and most use the cyano form vs the methyl form. You should be looking for 1000 mcgs minimum, methyl is best, and on an empty stomach.

Have you considered something like 5-HTP to see if it helps with your depression. I've struggled with depression since a severe concussion in 1965 when I was 10. The stability I have with 5-HTP vs the messy side-effects and such from an SSRI is amazing. It is safe at moderate doses and relatively easy to tell if you are taking too much, sweats are the first indicator. I only take 100 mgs for a good benefit. I started with 50 mgs and upped to 100 mgs a week later and got enough benefit that I have not tried more.

The brain knows what to do with 5-HTP because it is naturally occurring. L-Tryptophan converts to 5-HTP which converts to serotonin and melatonin. The body moderates the conversion from L-Tryptophan to 5-HTP and it appears some of us do not do that at adequate levels.

I have some more ideas for you when you have posted enough times to get access to PMs (Private Messages) You need to set your profile settings to allow PM's. To PM, left click on a screen name and select send a private message.

I have to work hard to sleep. I need to eat 150 to 250 complex calories before bed so my brain has the energy it needs to sleep.

I'll share some of my techniques in another post.

My best to you.

Wow, you seem to know your stuff. This is great! I didn't list all the details because most people (including doctors) brush it off...

The Magnesium tablet I take twice daily is a blend (oxide and aspartate) which I know is not the best form. It's the least expensive option and since I take so much... -that was my weird way of thinking. However, I probably take so much because I buy the cheap stuff so not really winning out. I do get benefits and notice the loss without it immediately.

I have a powder Magnesium that is a citrate I alternate in sometimes that I make a tea with and that works far better but the practice isn't as often. I should switch to a better quality pill when I run through these and see how that treats me. Is a citrate where you were going with that?

The Turmeric is an extract in a pill (95% Curcumanoids) and does have the black pepper extract in there for absorption.

The B12 complex I'm currently taking is new for me and it's a blend of the two forms. Previously I took a Methylcobalamin, but giving this one a shot because it was free (work perks). It has 5mg (or 83,333% DV) of B12 along with 100-500% of the other B's depending.

As for the 5-HTP, I've stared at it and read about it and then stared at it. I may have even bought it once over the years but then still didn't take it. Similar to Sam-E. I chicken out because the science behind them sounds so similar to medications, and a large part of my concern with those was that the doctors are just guessing. Our brains aren't all the same, hence so many types of meds. But I didn't want to play the same guessing game and without going too deep into, let's just say my medication days were like living nightmares.

I did try the L-Theanine a couple years back for a short time as it seemed to be the least harmful. I don't think I gave it long enough though as I allowed myself to get freaked out with even that. Or perhaps I didn't feel great on it.. I honestly don't remember.

Bringing all those options up though is helpful for the dialogue. If I've been humoring the pharmaceuticals, I should certainly try with the natural stuff first if the reason I hesitated on those was due to the others.

Looking forward to the other tips and not having to be so exposed to the whole internet world with my problems like this, but this has been helpful and humbling. I'm usually a rather private person as far as ever getting into any of this kind of personal/vulnerable stuff. People don't handle "mental" issues well. Even though I feel most people have something going on. Or maybe not, but the stigma stinks.

Last night I slept by the way! And only woke twice!
My partner slept on the floor in the back room though :/

Hard to be too excited about that.. but at least if I get some rest, I have a better shot of being a better person and partner. I just don't want it to be at the expense of him losing his rest or comfort. We'll have to keep shifting this to find the right compromise.

Thanks again, Mark!

Be well::
duarme is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote