View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 09:47 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I have a strong suspicion that your time with video games is connected to how you feel.

Video games are addicting and also affect dopamine levels in the brain by depleting them. Dopamine is the "pleasure" and "reward" neurotransmitter.

We all have different ratios of neurotransmitters, based on our genetics. This is why there are so many antidepressants, as one does not fit all.

Bizi and others here are correct in that you must get professional help. Teen suicide is a very serious thing and only trained professionals can help you.

But it may be that you are squandering your time and energy (dopamine) on a useless activity that does not lead to positive outcomes or enrich you.

Here are some links to read:
Video Games Can Activate the Brain's Pleasure Circuits | Psychology Today

As a coincidence, this article just appeared on NT Health News Headlines, about dopamine:
https://www.neurotalk.org/health-new...n-bonding.html

This is also a helpful article written in common language to explain depersonalization feelings:
The 5 most common Depersonalization Symptoms

My wifi just stalled, so I am moving to the big desktop and will continue this post there.....

So here is a link to depersonalization:
Depersonalization / Derealization Disorder Symptoms | Psych Central
You have stated that you had this before your head injury, is that right?

There is one antidepressant that works on the dopamine system...it is called Wellbutrin (bupropion). It can work for those that the SSRIs did not help much which are serotonin based.

Your generation is the really the first to have such access to digital media and games. Most of the posters here did not have these outlets, so we learned to entertain ourselves. When I was your age, I read books often, and taught myself to draw and paint. Some do music, others sports, or outdoor activities like gardening, or just plain walking. Exercise is really helpful for the brain, so it would be a thing to try.

Every day you live is a gift, but it is not "free". It is up to you to learn how to make the most of this life, and when you do your brain can come around and change for the better. Don't be seduced by slick video games which are empty and hold little future for you.

I'm really confused. So are you saying the video games are making things worse or better?

Video games is the only passion I have in life, and the only joy I really experience throughout the day... taking that away from me would lead to more depression.

I tried fixing my depersonaliztion for months, visiting hundreds of doctors, trying all sorts of medicine, exercising,NOTHING worked. (You can see my other thread Suicidal Thoughts Always There In Back Of Head) So I just stopped. I stopped trying and let it be, so I live with mild numbness everyday but I've gotten used to it I suppose

And to others hat have suggested a therapist:

I have gone to one in the past, for several months after I got my concussion and my depersonalization first started, it did not work. I would only cry more and get MORE anxiety to go see a therapist and talk about my life. It just made things so much worse for me.

From that time I spent with her I was diagnosed with depersonalization and General Anxiety Disorder. Like I said I was on hundreds of different meds nothing worked, just had more side effects then benefits

She didint really understand my struggles. It was really hard connecting with her and I never felt comfortable sharing things.
SamG11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (02-19-2017), OhKay (02-20-2017)