View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi cricketticket,

Thanks for posting the xray. However, this xray, which is called a Bitewing, is not really adequate to fully diagnose your tooth properly. You need an additional xray called a Periapical. That will show the entire tooth which is necessary for a proper diagnosis. With that said, it does appear on this xray that you have extensive decay on tooth #18 below the old AND new filling that would result in a pulpal exposure during the removal of the decay. If that is the case, then a root canal and crown OR extraction and implant would be your only options.

This xray was taken after the new filling was put in. Did the original dentist take xrays of tooth #18 prior to putting in the new filling? Perhaps he has Periapical xray of the tooth?

A side note.. tooth #13, which is your upper left second premolar (3rd tooth in from the last) should be evaluated for decay on the distal root area of the tooth. The distal area is the right side of this tooth closest to the molar behind it. That area may be decay, which would need a restoration. Or it may be what is called burnout which would be something that needs to be monitored and kept very clean with flossing. Either way, it should be re evaluated.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketticket View Post
My story

In October 2016 part of my filling came out of tooth #18. I went to the dentist and expected to be told that I needed a crown. The dentist told me I did not need a crown just a patch filling. He patched the tooth.

In January 2017 I went for a cleaning. I was told that tooth #18 is leaking and has extensive decay and I need a crown ASAP. I was told that possibly the decay has gone to the nerve and I may need RCT.

Confused about what I was told I sought a second opinion. This dentist told me that the decay is too extensive and I need RCT.

Is the decay too extensive to try for a crown? I really do not want a root canal and if the decay is indeed too extensive I will probably proceed with extraction and implant. Thanks for any input.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote